فصل الربيع
Pronounced Rabee3 - means Spring

فصل الصيف
Pronounced 9ayf - means Summer
Moshaya
Site Admin

Re: Arabic seasons and in pictures

Postby mujtahida » Sat May 03, 2008 11:31 am

Wonderful! Lovely photos. And it's nice for me to finally know the Arabic word for Autumn.
mujtahida

Postby jookieapc » Fri May 30, 2008 5:22 am

Great photos Moshaya. I wonder what makes the water go green in the summer. It looks like it's algae or slime.

In the sentence لاحظ كيف يتغير المكان ويتبدل shouldn't the imperative used for the first word? Making it ألاحظ
jookieapc

Postby Moshaya » Sat May 31, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks jookieapc, I also wondered what made the water green in the summer and I think you're right, it's algae. I looked up a small piece on this below

Regarding your question on the imperative, the first word لاحظ is already in an imperative form. We hope to do a lesson one day on forming imperatives in Arabic but briefly I will mention that it depends on the root of the word which is usually the past tense form of the word.
If the root is in the Fa3ala form which is the 3 letter word فَعَلَ like
دَرَس or ضَرَبَ then to form the order you add the ا at the beginning
درس -> ادرس
ضرب -> اضرب
But it’s a bit more complicated than this when forming the imperative because usually you change the root which is the past tense to the present tense and then from that you know exactly how to form the imperative. For me it comes naturally and I’m sure this will be the case for you too but we hope to do a lesson on this to make things clear.
So because the root of لاحظ is لاحَظَ (Laa7a6’a), the imperative is not formed like ألاحظ but لاحِظ

Why is my lake green?
The green color of most lakes is caused by an excessive concentration of algae. Algae will become very abundant under certain conditions. This is a very common questions asked by lakeside residents and recreational users. The color of lakes and ponds is often caused by large numbers of microscopic plants called algae. These one-celled organisms grow profusely during spring and summer when fertilized by excessive amounts of nutrients (nitrogen and phosphorus) that enter lakes from the surrounding countryside, transported by rainstorm and snowmelt runoff. The tiny plants that live suspended in the water column of lakes are known as phytoplankton. The are passively carried by the turbulence or movement of the water. When present in high numbers, the algae clumps together. This condition is referred to as a an algal bloom. These blooms are considered a nuisance in lakes used for drinking water and recreation.

There are several groups of phytoplankton that included diatoms, green algae and blue-green algae. Diatoms and green algae are slightly heavier than water and rely on water current to keep suspended in the water. Some blue-green algae though have the ability to adjust their buoyancy. This means they can sink or rise in the water column as light conditions and nutrients change. Some blue-green blooms are considered toxic and can cause great harm to the lake and animals that drink from the lake during the blooms. Diatom blooms can color lake waters brown. This is because diatoms contain brown-colored pigments that mask the green color of the chlorophyll.

The term algae bloom is most often applied to describe summer growths of planktonic blue-green algae which may be compromised of circular groups of round cells or clumps of filament. The algal pigment phycocyanin that is found in blue-greens is water-soluble. The disintegration of a bloom will release this pigment into the water will color the water temporarily with an intense blue-green or green color. A drastic reduction of the supply of nutrients from the lake’s watershed is often the only way to eliminate or even significantly reduce the problems caused by massive algal blooms.
Moshaya
Site Admin

Postby jookieapc » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:28 pm

Thank you Moshaya. I'm familiar with imperative not always having the leading ا but for some reason when I asked you that I think I was thinking it was form I or something. The first time I saw there were 10 different imperative patterns I freaked out but soon learned it's not too bad. Looking at a verb conjugation chart now only the first form has the initial ا and the remaining verb forms are the same main letters with different, but not too complicated 7arakat.

In the podcasts you ask questions as though you're a student too, for our benefit, but what is your real level in Arabic? Did you learn much at home growing up? Can you understand movies and the news?
jookieapc

Postby Moshaya » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:40 pm

Hay jookieapc

Ehab is the real expect at Arabic here. I would say I am fluent in Arabic and yes I can understand news and movies.
Moshaya
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion