"Please"

Talk about anything here that doesn't fit into other categories

Moderator: Ehab

"Please"

Postby LADreamr » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi guys,

I wanted to ask you about the most common way to say "please." I most often hear it as "min fadlak," but I think in your lessons you are using a different phrase sometimes. Could you clear up what is more common and understood?

Shukran jazeelan!

Sarah
LADreamr

Re: "Please"

Postby LADreamr » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:25 pm

PS. I also wanted to ask about the difference between qaleelan and shwoye. Does it matter which one you use?

Thanks!
LADreamr

Postby Ehab » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:39 pm

Ahlain Sarah;
Both LAW SAMA7T (لو سمحت) and MEN FAD'LAK (من فضلك) can replace each other, the difference between them is just the meaning.
MEN FAD'LAK (من فضلك) means (if you do me a favor) while LAW SAMA7T (لو سمحت) means (if you please), we normally use LAW SAMA7T (لو سمحت) because it is used more often and probably easier to pronounce :)
QALEELAN (قليلا) and SHOWAYA(شوية) give the same meaning. QALEELAN (قليلا) is classical and SHOWAYA (شوية) is colloquial,, if you are using it in the street, then use SHOWAYA (شوية), but if you are writing a letter or an article, then using QALEELAN (قليلا) would be better.
Ta7eyyaty
Ehab
Ehab
Site Admin

Postby fugly » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:53 pm

On the same subject - I have been learning Arabic from CD's before I start formal language classes next week - the CD's offer two ways to say please - min fadlik but more usually 'reje-en'. have I picked this up wrong or is it a regional variation??

:) thanks
fugly

Postby daavidfischer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:42 am

I really enjoy learning different languages. How can we say I am sorry in the Arabic language and also how to as how are you? It is good if you can share some common sentences and words in Arabic, so that it would be useful for beginners like us.

Thanks

Stop snoring
anti snoring aid
daavidfischer

Return to General Discussion