Arabic online dictionary

Talk about anything here that doesn't fit into other categories

Moderator: Ehab

Arabic online dictionary

Postby almuallim » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:52 pm

Assalamu alaykum,

I am just interested in gathering views about arabic online dictionaries that are available for learners of the language. Personally, i've found most of them inadequate.

For example, many don't give plurals for nouns. Also, there is no grammar; so if you search for 'مفاعلة' it would, say, tell you that is a masdar of فاعل . Also, there is no way to search via root. So if I put in 'علم' (as in to know), I would like a facility where it would give you all nouns derived from that, like عالم,علماء,علم etc.

I am currently doing some research (as i'm a Web Developer by trade) as well as testing a few things out. Your ideas/experiences/any good links are welcome!
almuallim

Re: Arabic online dictionary

Postby Ehab » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:14 am

Wa 3alaykom assalaam almuallim ;
It sounds great what you are thinking of,, Yes, there is lack in developing dictionaries (in general) in all languages, and Arabic itself is a vast language, so it needs more work. However, probably someone - like you - can stand up for it and start the effort and others will get involve.
I came across this dictionary (http://www.tps.edu.ee/nastik/ar-en/) they use the translation engine (core) from Arabeyes which has few nice projects developed in Unix, here is their site: http://www.arabeyes.org/
All the best almuallim, let us know about the progress of your idea and if you have any more suggestions for this site please feel free to post it.
Shokran :)
Ehab
Ehab
Site Admin

Postby almuallim » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:25 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, my development is mainly concerned with ASP.NET. I have had a look at the dictionary; i think it's good, but still doesnt encompass many features for wannabe learners like me that I would love to have. InshAllah, I will try to develop something and if i achieve anything I will let you know!

مع السلامة
almuallim

Re: Arabic online dictionary - Need ideas!

Postby almuallim » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:12 am

Assalamu alaykum,

Following on from this topic, i need some ideas from people to make this a worthwhile endeavour.

Please take a look at the following URL: http://www.thearabicdictionary.com

At the moment it is only very initial stages. I only have a few words in the database, but if someone can try just put in the search box:

i) جمع
ii) فتح
iii) وصل

and see what results you get (it is a root search at the moment).

My next idea is to have a link for each word found and show further details, like whether it is mamnoo min al-sarf , mabnee, what the plural is, and, if it is a verb, what form it's in, the future tense of it, even the full conjugation of it etc.

Please forward your ideas.

مع السلامة
almuallim

Postby turkish » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:41 am

salam

is there any arabic dictionary online with sound? i really need such an online dictionary
turkish

Return to General Discussion