Why are you learning Arabic?

Talk about anything here that doesn't fit into other categories

Moderator: Ehab

Why are you learning Arabic?

Postby sixpack434 » Wed May 02, 2007 6:10 pm

Is it because you work in an Arab country, religious reasons or your just like the language? Let us know :)
sixpack434
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:54 pm

Postby Teckid1991 » Tue May 08, 2007 5:30 am

I just like the language... also i have some friends who can speak it and would like to learn the language and suprise them with what i know :)
Teckid1991
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 5:27 am
Location: USA

Postby Ehab » Wed May 16, 2007 9:25 am

Shokran Teckid1991;
I’m so glad to see ur nice contribution in the forum,, please invite ur friends to the forum so we can discuss any issue they want to know about Arabic language.
Arabic is my native language, the more I know it, the more I love it :wink: .
Salaaaam
Ehab
User avatar
Ehab
Site Admin
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:54 pm

Postby Mystique » Wed May 16, 2007 6:52 pm

If french is language of love, spanish language of passion ...arab is language of your soul or so i feel it :wink: is the only one language that feel it so deep... behinde my religious interests is love 4 arab language :)
Mystique
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Romania

Postby Desert88 » Thu May 17, 2007 2:17 am

I'm 16 now, and I lived in the middle east from the ages of 2-10. I lived in Syria, Saudi Arabia, and the U.A.E, my Dad worked as an ambassador for the US government to the middle east and my family is of Arab descent(great grandfather came to US in 1904). However I attended American community schools while I was in the middle east and most people knew english anyways so I never picked up arabic. I moved back to the US at around age 11 and I sadly regret not learning the language. I want to learn to speak it for my heritage and so when people ask if I speak arabic I can say yes. Sorry this is kind of long. Anyways keep up the great work.
Desert88
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 2:06 am

Postby Ehab » Thu May 17, 2007 9:47 pm

Desert88 wrote:I'm 16 now, and I lived in the middle east from the ages of 2-10. I lived in Syria, Saudi Arabia, and the U.A.E, my Dad worked as an ambassador for the US government to the middle east and my family is of Arab descent(great grandfather came to US in 1904). However I attended American community schools while I was in the middle east and most people knew english anyways so I never picked up arabic. I moved back to the US at around age 11 and I sadly regret not learning the language. I want to learn to speak it for my heritage and so when people ask if I speak arabic I can say yes. Sorry this is kind of long. Anyways keep up the great work.


Ahlan Desert88;
I’m so glad that you have the enthusiasm to learn Arabic.. I’ll tell you something,, you’ll not answer people Yes I speak Arabic only!! I’m sure you’ll be able to challenge them and you’ll be one of the first listeners who will pick the language.. you are 16 and in this age ur chance of getting the language is huge,, I started learning English when I was in ur age and I believe I can say: Yes I speak English. (I think I can say that,, can’t I 8) unless u find my English is crap :wink: )
Good luck mate and keep enthusiastic.. one day I’ll remind you that once in the past you had doubts about ur ability of learning Arabic, and those doubts don’t exist any more.
Salam
Ehab
User avatar
Ehab
Site Admin
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:54 pm

compulsive language learners

Postby kingdon » Tue May 22, 2007 8:11 pm

Personally I grew up in a lot of educational situations where language learning was always something that was available to me, and I would jump at the opportunity. Since I was very young I had a passion and a sense for reading and was fascinated by codes and ciphers of any sort. When I came to RIT, I knew I wouldn't graduate happy with myself unless I was studying a language.

My first choice was in fact Japanese but the basic level class registration was full of smelly computer science nerds watching Anime! Itadekimasu! Next I learned of the Arabic program and found myself in very small classes, receiving very close attention from a team of excellent teachers.

Addicted? I hope not! At least this could be an expensive habit to maintain, if not for the Internet and communities like this!
kingdon
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Postby Ridwan » Fri May 25, 2007 10:49 pm

i was born in saudi arabia.. lived ther for 17 years i learned arabic on streets.lol i mean i learned it through arabic speaking friends.. but still i am not that fluent i am at just general talk.. its my wish to be fluent in arabic as i love middle east alot... currently i reside in india so i forgot much of my arabic... but after coming here iv begin to learn again..
Ridwan
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 10:45 pm

Postby arabicpod » Sat May 26, 2007 9:59 am

Ridwan wrote:i was born in saudi arabia.. lived ther for 17 years i learned arabic on streets.lol i mean i learned it through arabic speaking friends.. but still i am not that fluent i am at just general talk.. its my wish to be fluent in arabic as i love middle east alot... currently i reside in india so i forgot much of my arabic... but after coming here iv begin to learn again..


We're really glad that this site caused you to start learning Arabic again :) That was one of main aims of ArabicPod, to help promote the language and make it easy for people to learn it

Best of luck!

Mohamed Moshaya
arabicpod
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 8:29 pm

Postby Yasmine » Sun May 27, 2007 5:54 pm

Assalam alaikum,

My reason for learning is my heritage. My father was Egyptian and my mother American. My father taught us to read, write and speak Arabic as children. He passed away when I was 10 years old and the language was seldom used in our home after. Sadly I forgot much of it over the years. I now have a 4 year old son and an baby daughter who I feel need to know about their heritage and it's language. Not just for themselves but for their religion also.

What you are doing here is wonderful and may you be rewarded greatly.
Yasmine
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:02 pm

Postby Ehab » Sun May 27, 2007 6:36 pm

Wa 3alaykom Alsalam;
Mashallah very wise reason, I'm sure you and your kids will be fine with the language. I'll pray for you so the language will be easier and easier,, and you pray for us so we get success with the website ;)
Salam


Yasmine wrote:Assalam alaikum,

My reason for learning is my heritage. My father was Egyptian and my mother American. My father taught us to read, write and speak Arabic as children. He passed away when I was 10 years old and the language was seldom used in our home after. Sadly I forgot much of it over the years. I now have a 4 year old son and an baby daughter who I feel need to know about their heritage and it's language. Not just for themselves but for their religion also.

What you are doing here is wonderful and may you be rewarded greatly.
User avatar
Ehab
Site Admin
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:54 pm

Postby Yasmine » Sun May 27, 2007 7:36 pm

Thank you for the kind words. My reading and writing has greatly improved over the past year alhamdulellah, but my pronunciation and verb conjugation are lacking. Knowledge is one of the greatest gifts any of us can give or receive. I will happily make du3a2 for this site to prosper. :D

I apologize for going off topic here but I noticed the music and film categories are empty. I was wondering, would it be ok to post song lyrics with the Arabic script, transliteration and English translation? I also have English subtitle files for some Arabic films (mostly Egyptian) if anyone would be interested.

Salam,
Yasmine
Yasmine
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:02 pm

Postby Medina » Mon May 28, 2007 2:52 pm

Salaamu 3alaikom

Because i have family that lives in an arabic country
and i would like to comunicate with them better..

but also because i love the way it sounds..

such a beautiful language..

Whenever i hear Ehab and Mohamed speaking i go ohhhhhhhhh..

haha

you both are doing a great job !
* The love of the world, is the root of all evils.
Medina
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Detroit,USA

Postby Teckid1991 » Mon May 28, 2007 9:43 pm

Yasmine wrote:I apologize for going off topic here but I noticed the music and film categories are empty. I was wondering, would it be ok to post song lyrics with the Arabic script, transliteration and English translation? I also have English subtitle files for some Arabic films (mostly Egyptian) if anyone would be interested.

Salam,
Yasmine


also with that... i noticed that in the beginning of your podcasts you all now have sort of a chant/song (excuse me if this is incorrect.. not as familiar with the culture). What is the meaning of it (translation) and what was your reason for picking it?
Follow your bliss

"If french is language of love, spanish language of passion, [then] arabic is language of [the] soul"
- Mystique
Teckid1991
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 5:27 am
Location: USA

Postby Ehab » Tue May 29, 2007 10:27 pm

Teckid1991 wrote:
Yasmine wrote:I apologize for going off topic here but I noticed the music and film categories are empty. I was wondering, would it be ok to post song lyrics with the Arabic script, transliteration and English translation? I also have English subtitle files for some Arabic films (mostly Egyptian) if anyone would be interested.

Salam,
Yasmine


also with that... i noticed that in the beginning of your podcasts you all now have sort of a chant/song (excuse me if this is incorrect.. not as familiar with the culture). What is the meaning of it (translation) and what was your reason for picking it?



Thanx every one about your contribution, the intro of each lesson is just a piece of a song where the band says: hey yallah, hey yallah
This ‘hey’ is just to grab the attention, like when you say ‘hey man’. The other word ‘yallah’ is a merged spoken phrase, the classic one is ‘ya Allah’ which means ‘O God’ it is normally used when someone wants to do anything to say ‘yallah’ ,, so if we are going to somewhere, I can say ‘yallah lets go’.
So ‘hey yallah’ is an indication of an intention to do any activity, and in this particular song or ‘nasheed’ it is just a way to cheer the people up. If you go to a football game in stadium you might hear the crowd cheering up ‘hey yallah, hey yallah’
So, we are trying to cheer you up guys ;)
Salamat
Ehab
User avatar
Ehab
Site Admin
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:54 pm

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron