Why are you learning Arabic?

Talk about anything here that doesn't fit into other categories

Moderator: Ehab

Learning Arabic

Postby tomest05 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:55 am

Merhaba,

I just discovered this and have downloaded all the latest Podcasts from iTunes! I want to say thanks for putting this up. I've studied al-Fousha for about 3 years, but I've been learning history and other languages the last two years, and have lost my decent base! I am looking forward to more advanced lessons! Also, I was wondering about song requests... I love so many new songs out in the Arabic world but I have a very hard time understanding most of them. Please please keep this up! You're doing a great service for the Arabic speaking community!
Shukran lakum!
شكرا لكم

Tomes
tomest05

Why I Want to Learn Arabic

Postby gopjamie81 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:24 am

I basically just want to learn Arabic for fun. I'm American and don't know any native speakers, though I do hope to make use of it by travelling to different Arabic-speaking countries in the future. :D
gopjamie81

My Arabic

Postby Ollie_S » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:09 pm

Im refreshing my arabic lately as i am mixed raced being english and middle eastern (sudanese and yemeni to be specific).. my dad spoke it natively growing up in sudan but my never wanted him to speak it to us when little.. so i had to learn it by myself of course along with the help of my dad, but i think im rather good at it now xD

ma'a salaama
Ollie_S

Arabic language interest

Postby Henda » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:33 pm

My reason for learning is my origin. My father was Tunisian and my mother French.
They separed when i was 7 and i've never learned arabic.
I feel like loosing something.

Henda

Henda

Postby kimberly » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:42 am

Salaam, I have always loved Arabic and thought it was a very beautiful language, but now I have special incentive: My best friend is from Palestine and I hope to go visit his family within a year and his mom does not speak English. Here's to hoping I can tell her how much her son means to me by this time next year :) Thanks for the podcasts - they are great! Good luck to everyone
kimberly

Postby mialuv998 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:05 am

I am learning Arabic because I have a friend from the net who lives in Egypt. I've been helping him to improve his written english, and in return have taken to learning Arabic from him. Not only to speak it, but also to write. I currently have the entire Arabic alphabet in my messenger archives. So in compliment to the lessons he gives me I am now listening to your podcasts. (Just started listening today) I enjoy the lessons greatly and hope to surprise my friend with this and hopefully involve him in it as well. It makes conversing with him a pleasure knowing we can share with each other the things we know. Just one question though, how do you say "Your are my treasured friend" in Arabic? Or even spell it?
mialuv998

Postby Moshaya » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:08 pm

mialuv998 wrote:I am learning Arabic because I have a friend from the net who lives in Egypt. I've been helping him to improve his written english, and in return have taken to learning Arabic from him. Not only to speak it, but also to write. I currently have the entire Arabic alphabet in my messenger archives. So in compliment to the lessons he gives me I am now listening to your podcasts. (Just started listening today) I enjoy the lessons greatly and hope to surprise my friend with this and hopefully involve him in it as well. It makes conversing with him a pleasure knowing we can share with each other the things we know. Just one question though, how do you say "Your are my treasured friend" in Arabic? Or even spell it?

Thanks for all your contributions. “Your are my treasured friend” can be translated to
Anta Sadeeqy al-3azeez
أنت صديقي العزيز
Moshaya
Site Admin

Postby Nix » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:18 am

I have for the past year have been studying the history of the middle east & personally think to gain a better understanding the culture you must at least know the language.

that is the basic motivating factor
Nix

Postby caloche » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:07 pm

hello,

first, thank you again for these very helpful lessons.
I learn the language because I love the maghreb and its culture. I begin with standard arabic, and I'll keep on, later, with marocan.
Also, I live in a neighborhood where there are a lot of arabic people, and I want to be able to have stimulating discussions...and understand what is said around :D
And...last but not least, I really would like to make a deep impression on that girl...
caloche

Postby Willow » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:25 am

The first inspiration I had was meeting my friend who is an Arab (A Palestinian from Jordan) , who opened my mind to a whole world, thus shattering my American ignorance and stereotypes about the Arab world (part of which my country is infamously at war with!)

The opening of that door led me to a series of paintings I have begun which will hopefully become an MFA thesis. In a nutshell, the series is about understanding the Middle East, and shattering the American stereotypes. The reasearch that I am doing has led me to have a very strong interest in the language and the diversity of cultures.

Also, I know it is mind-opening to learn languages, the way of thinking in every language is Different. (Having learned French). I decided I need to learn a language that is NOT related to english, and the above reasons made Arabic a clear choice!
Willow

Postby djuha1 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:53 pm

Hi

I just learning Arabic for fun. It is such a difficult language that I can´t stop learning. My dream and far away goal is to read arabic books of Naguib Machfouz without a dicctionary. I know that I can reach my goal, it is just a question of time.

lg
Djuha
djuha1

Postby مرقس » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:26 am

I enjoy the intellectual challenge: Arabic is one of the more difficult languages to learn. Moreover, I believe it's very important to consume international news in the original, rather than via translation. Finally, there are other things (القرآن، أناشيد، راي، شعبي، قهوة) that I would enjoy more fully had I a firmer grasp of the language.
مرقس البطرسي
مرقس

Postby zaytuna » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:00 am

أنا إسبانية و أدرس اللغة العربية لأنّ لي أسرة في بلد عربي
أيضاً أحب أن أعرف ثقافة أخرا و الأنّ هذه الثقافة قريبة كبلدي و بعيدة في التفكير
سلام
zaytuna

Postby duhelms » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:09 pm

I am an American studying at George Mason University which is very close to Washington D.C. I'm studying systems engineering, but Arabic is so much more interesting, and also I have several classmates from Sudan, Saudi Arabia, etc. Thank you guys for providing me with the means to learn Arabic! And I do hope y'all can work out these server problems before too long, and keep up the good work.
duhelms

why do i want to learn 3rabic?

Postby Ummu Yusuf » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:33 am

as-salaamu 3laykum,

Ureedu an ata3allamu al-lughatah al-3rabiyyah li-afhamu al-Qur'an al-Kareem. I believe that faith has a language and it's in 3rabic. May Allah make it easy for the ajnabi like me to learn the Language of the Qur'an, and may He accept your efforts in trying to help us out and reward you with good, ameeen.

May Allah preserve you!
Ummu Yusuf

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion