itunes problems

Talk about anything here that doesn't fit into other categories

Moderator: Ehab

itunes problems

Postby arabicpod » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:28 pm

We have received a few emails concerning problems subscribing or viewing our lessons on itunes. I can’t see any indication that there is something wrong when viewing our RSS feed online, but I have just gone to itunes and indeed noticed that the latest lesson wouldn’t download.

After trying many possible solutions I discovered that after I deleted the subscription then re-subscribed, the latest lesson did download. So please try this if you are having the same problem.

If you are experiencing other problems please post here. We will try to solve it as soon as possible

Mohamed Moshaya
arabicpod
Site Admin

Postby kingdon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:05 pm

Not sure what's changed internally in your feed.php code, but I think I am experiencing a different set of problems today. What reader are you using? Can it be used to synchronize with an iPod? I mostly use my Mac for this.

Using iTunes, I am able to retrieve the latest lesson (and only the latest lesson, #16) by deleting and re-adding the podcast feed as you suggested. Usually a podcast feed in iTunes will display all of the available episodes, and automatically download the latest, providing "Get" buttons to allow users to collect the remaining episodes.

Using Safari for Mac, I see only the first (#1 How are you?) episode. Later episodes are not listed at all. This of course is surprising, as it is opposite behavior from iTunes, and both programs are made by Apple. *shrug*

Using RSS-Reader Dashboard Widget or plain old Mozilla Firefox, I see all 16 episodes, but these readers are not meant for playing podcasts. Google Reader works perfectly fine, of course this can't be used to synch with my iPod afaik :(

I have subscribed to a handful of podcasts using iTunes (yogamazing, chinesepod), and they exhibit proper behavior as described above. I know that FeedBurner has a flag under SmartCast settings for iTunes compatibility and another for MediaRSS. I'm not sure what's causing this problem, or if it's related. Reading the feed source now, and I'm noticing some extra garbage regarding file size.... maybe that is the cause?

####

Anyway it would be nice to work out the bugs, but it's possible to follow on a Mac using Google Reader, works just as well as accessing the front page of the website. On Windows, IE7+Media Player works perfectly as well. Cheers
kingdon

Postby kingdon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:42 pm

One more note, plug for my favorite podcast viewer...

DemocracyPlayer also does not suffer from this problem. This program is meant for video podcasts, but it has no trouble handling audio/mp3 files like ArabicPod. Unfortunately still does not synch with an iPod... planned for a future revision perhaps. However, it has a new problem which I had not seen before; every episode except for the first appears twice! Still mystified about these errors.

Feed Validator notes a number of errors in the output of feed.php. Is this from libsyn service or something you wrote independently?
kingdon

DopplerRadio

Postby kingdon » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:13 am

I'm not sure it's worth paying too much attention to iTunes; I've got a Windows computer at my access and DopplerRadio seems like a much neater podcast player without any of that nasty iTunes Music Store cluttering up the display area. Still, it would be nice to synch with my iPod, and I haven't got an easy and flexible way to do that... the issue. Does anyone know of a similar alternative podcasting client for the Macintosh?
kingdon

Return to General Discussion