new forum members - introduce yourselves here

Talk about anything here that doesn't fit into other categories

Moderator: Ehab

Re: new forum members - introduce yourselves here

Postby Moshaya » Mon May 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Ahlan Celine and welcome,

Glad you took the plunge to learn Arabic. Regarding your question about the numbers in the pronunciation texts. These are sometimes called "chat letters". Basically each number represents an Arabic letter that has no equivalent sound in English.

For example, the number 3 represents the Arabic letter ع , so if we write the Arabic word for 'eye' (which is عين in Arabic) using an English keyboard, we will right 3ayn.

With each lesson transcript, there is a table which maps each of the numbers to their equivalent Arabic letter.
Moshaya
Site Admin

Postby Ameer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:32 pm

Essalamooalaykoom

My name is Ameer, and I am from Bosnia. I am currently living/working in Saudi Arabia. I learned arabic before, but never had time to comit to it. It seems now is the best time, since I recently moved to Saudi.

I listened to you lessons for some time now and I would just like to thank you for your efforts, and wish God grants you good.
Ameer

Postby jeremiah » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:59 pm

Hello all,

My name is Jeremiah. I look forward to visiting this forum much, as my wife Anna and I are just starting to learn Arabic and were thrilled to come upon the podcast.

I have one question for now. the letter " ر " is this rolled all the time. If so, is it more like the Hebrew letter " ר " being rolled near the back of the throat? Or is it more like the Spanish?

Much thanks for what you're doing, and grace and peace to you.

jeremiah
jeremiah

Postby Ehab » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:01 am

Hey Jeremiah,

I am not fully aware how the Hebrew letter (ר) is pronounced, I just looked it up and the Arabic (ر) seems similar but not rolled as much. Best thing to check is our Arabic Pronunciation Guide (APG) if you are a premium member, this application allows you to see where the letter is pronounced from, and it shows the animation of the tongue when the letter is pronounced, here is the link: http://www.arabicpod.net/activities/sho ... tion_Guide

If you are not a premium member and you can't see that page, then briefly the tongue goes very much at the mid-point between the center of the palate and the upper central incisors.

Hope that helps.
Ehab
Ehab
Site Admin

Postby jeremiah » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:28 pm

yes Ehab, that does help. and i look forward to subscribing soon. I just can't at the moment.

For now, beginner lessons are very helpful.

grace and peace,
Jeremiah
jeremiah

Postby ummati » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:44 pm

Moshaya wrote:If you're new to the forum, or even if you're not but have never introduced yourself, please feel free to introduce yourself here. :)

My name is Halimatus sa"adiyya. i've registered for 1 year now. Best site ever. i have a problem though_ I want to download a lot of the lessons on mp3 at the same time. There's no provision for that. Could you pl make multiple downloads under one command possible ?
ummati

Postby Moshaya » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi Halimatus, and welcome to the site. At the moment there is no such feature that allows someone to download all the podcasts at once. However, you can use itunes and download the latest 20 or so podcasts by subscribing to the rss feed. Visit the blog for more details
Moshaya
Site Admin

Postby isa786 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi My name is Muhammad isa AKA Jean-Michel from Geneva, Switzerland.
I have been a student of Arabic on and off for many years but never really managed to go beyond intermediate level
I can then qualify myself as a hopeful speaker of Arabic with very little time but lots of motivation
isa786

Postby Moshaya » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Ahlan Muhammad, and welcome to the site. Thanks for letting us know about you on here and hope to hear about your progress :)
Moshaya
Site Admin

Postby jahmiir85 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Hello! I'm Jahmar and I and so excited to be able learn Arabic with ArabicPod. Ehad and Moshaya are the best teachers i've ever had. I'm so glad that for what their do for the students.
jahmiir85

Postby Moshaya » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Ahlan Jahmar, welcome :D
Moshaya
Site Admin

Postby djstorm1987 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:32 pm

My name is Erik and I reside in USA. I am studying Arabic for Quranic as well as career purposes as I am interested in learning to relocate to a Arab speaking country. I am also studying Urdu due to my wife so I hope to make the transition a bit easy as I am already familiar with the alphabets.
djstorm1987

Postby YassineUk » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:39 pm

Hello,
I'm Yassine I live in morocco, and i'm very excited to find this forum to share between us new skills and knowledge, hope find new friends en chaalah and salam alaykom :D
YassineUk

Postby witcheye580 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:12 am

Assalamulaikum.... everyone... ana esmee Cat...found this great podcast and found this website very helpful for a filipina staying in an arabic community...so more power to the admins...and shukran jazeelan :D
witcheye580

Postby Samir » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:25 pm

Hello everyone!
My name is Samir and I have been studying arabic for about 1,5 years in the university in Sweden and I am very happy to have found an online-forum like this!

Take care

/Samir
Samir

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion