new forum members - introduce yourselves here

Talk about anything here that doesn't fit into other categories

Moderator: Ehab

Re: new forum members - introduce yourselves here

Postby iansic » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:06 pm

Hey,

Great to read what everyone's doing and where you all come from (me: Kent, UK)
Just got back from Egypt a couple of weeks ago after 6 months sudying Arabic. Had a fantastic time but think I've already forgotten about half of everything I learnt!! Always loved travelling in the ME. It's one of the best things I've done and was pleasantly surprised how much I had picked up from the lessons. Listened to the podcasts while walking to work or in the gym, so have mixed feelings when I hear the intro/exit music (association: pain)!

Ehab & Moshaya - Thanks. The lessons have been interesting, topical and human. My guess would be you don't do this for purely financial reasons(!?!) so important to know you're appreciated!

Ian.
iansic

Postby rimkus » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi everybody

my name is Karim, I live in Cannes (France - french riviera)
I was born in France but my parents are tunisian
so I can speak tunisian, but not classical arabic
this is one of the reasons why I began learning real arabic (reading and talking)
I listen to your lessons almost everyday, it's pretty difficult because english is not my first language, but I'm ok
I'm very glad because I finally saw your faces in the website's article (Mohamed and Ehab)!!!
I consider you like my friends because I'm like with you everyday.
May God bless you for your work and give you an eternal reward in the other world inchaAllah.

Thanks for reading this e-mail.
Peace be with you.

Karim.
rimkus

Postby jenkki » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:23 pm

Hi guys,

انا إسي جون مكغيل
(Jon McGill)
وأنا أمريكي (من بيتسبُرغ بنسيلفانية)، لكن أسكن الآن في فنلندية (منذ خمسة و عشرة سنة) وأدرس اللغة عربية منذ واحد سنة. حقاَ عيشت في سعودية عندما كنت ثمنية سنوات، وفي مدرسة درست عربي، لكن وحد سنة فقط. والآن عمري عربون سنة وأتكلم فنلندي و الماني (الإنجليزية زيدة). أبي آمريكي ولكن ولد في المصر( في التانتة) ولذالك أعتقد بسيكون سعيد أدرس أيضاً عربي ... وكذلكة أخر سنة سافرت في دبي، وبسبب كان سافر ممتع ٌ جداً، بدت أحفظ الأبجدية والقراءة باللغة عربية. أتمن في السفر قادمي، أستطيع أن أتكلم أحسان من في دبي.

By the way, I hope the above is understandable... I haven't really learned the correct way of writing grammatically yet. I took the Rosetta Arabic 1,2,3 training this year and it was great, but I think it mainly just emphasized some basics of just how to speak & pronounce basic Arabic with confidence, but the grammar was a little bit missing from those lessons... at least the kind of grammar that one needs when one does his own writing (or speaking) from the top of one's head. I hope I can get that kind of practice here. BTW. Regarding ArabicPod, I have several comments which you can take them or leave them.

First the good comments... I love how you guys (Ehab and Mohammed) keep it short and simple in the beginner lessons. I also love how you do free-form discussion with a great sense of humor. It really makes it enjoyable to listen to the dialogues. I love also how you have some very diverse topics and at different selectable difficulty levels.

One suggestion, if I may, for learning's sake... It can be a real challenge to memorize all the Arabic words... so for me, I use a program called Byki whose free SW you can download from the internet http://www.byki.com/category/Arabic/a - and if you really wanted to have a cool addition to your ArabicPod lessons, you could make some lists and share the .b4u files so that one could easily memore the vocabulary associated with each of the ArabicPod lessons. I know you have your own set of flash cards that I saw on your web pages, but the Byki system is much better... It tests your memory well because it associates the word with both a picture and a sound... and the algorithm for repeating things over time is the best I have ever had... It does a great job in refreshing old stuff... plus it also forces you to spell the words in Arabic when you start learning them. Anyway, that's just a suggestion, especially good since the byki express software is free and can be used by anyone, as long as you have the lists available somewhere.

Well, I decided to be prudent and not to write my critical thoughts...

Glad to be a member... hope my 12 month subscription here pays off!

Jon
jenkki

Postby Ehab » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:32 pm

أهلا بك جون
Welcome to ArabicPod, I was able to understand your Arabic, though there are some mistakes, here is your text with corrections:

انا إسمي جون مكغيل
وأنا أمريكي (من بيتسبُرغ بنسيلفانية)، لكن أسكن الآن في فنلندا (منذ خمس عشرة سنة) وأدرس اللغة العربية منذ سنة واحدة. عشت في السعودية عندما كان عمري ثمانية سنوات، و درست عربي في المدرسة، لكن سنة واحدة فقط. والآن عمري أربعون سنة وأتكلم فنلندي و الماني (الإنجليزية جيدة). أبي آمريكي ولكن ولد في المصر( في التانتة) ولذالك أعتقد أنه سيكون سعيد أني أدرس أيضاً عربي ... وكذلك سنة الماضية سافرت الى دبي، وكان سفر ممتع ٌ جداً، بدأت أحفظ الأبجدية والقراءة باللغة عربية. أتمنى السفر مرة أخرى، أستطيع أن أتكلم أحسن في دبي.

The website you posted seems very nice, we will try to get into it in details. By the way, have you tried our random search in the dictionary that we have, see this link: http://www.arabicpod.net/dictionary/random and just press on (Random search).

We hope you gonna have great time in ArabicPod.

بالتوفيق
Ehab
Ehab
Site Admin

Postby jenkki » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks Ehab! Now I have to study my mistakes... BTW. I have been going through your lessons systematically and have created lists for that byki program which I could share with you (I'm up to ArabicPod lesson # 30). The only thing is I didn't put all the words from your lesson material in these byki lists, only the ones that were new to me... so you'd probably want to make your own lists that match the full vocabulary of the lesson. But it might be nice for you, just to get an example... you have the advantage that you could add audio to everything, whereas for me, it doesn't make sense for me to attach the audio attachment to each flashcard since my Arabic pronunciation is still not quite up to snuff.

BTW. I did try the flash cards you have on ArabicPod and the "random word". The art of the flash cards you have is really good. One thing I couldn't figure out, though, is why you have the option of saving the flash cards because when I hit the random word, it doesn't seem to matter what words I have saved. The byki program has the advantage that it collects off a database of the words that you have really, really learned (both English->Arabic and Arabic->English directions), and then it marks words stale after some time -- and I think also, it has an algorithm for aging of words which seems to work something like, the more often you misremember the word, the faster it will become stale. BTW. to be able to edit the mufradat lists in Byki you have to have purchased the pay version... i.e. you need a serial number (I think it was only 60 € or so, if not less)...

Regards,
Jon
jenkki

Postby R1zbear » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:04 am

Hello ! I'm new on this forum so I introduce me...My name is Julia, I'm 21 years old, I'm a Belgian in USA. My hobbies : horses, kitesurf and video games...Nice to meet you.

Postby jeevio26 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi everyone.

My name is Michael. I'm English with an Eritrean mother who is currently living in Cairo.
I've been here for two years now and my Arabic isnt bad, though very colloquial! Too many Adel Imam movies and nights spent at the Ahwa I think!
Anyway I'm always looking to improve my Egyptian Arabic and also really get into my Modern Standard as well.
If anyone who is good with Egyptian Araboc wants to bounce some ideas off me I'd be very grateful. There is a huge difference in the language I hear on the street to that I hear on Al Jazeera! It's very daunting at times!
By the way I just joined as a premium member and wow. The detail on there is brilliant, just how I like it so hopefully the websites going to help me quite a lot.
Forsa saeeda
jeevio26

Postby gearstik » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:16 am

Marhaba

My name is Geo. I am Australian. I have just started Arabic at evening class and even though I am learning the Lebanese dialect of Arabic I an finding this site usefull. The words here are a little different than what I am learning.
I feel any exposure is good exposure.

Thanks

G
gearstik

Postby irishguy74 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:31 pm

Hello every one.. I have been learning Arabic for the past 3 months but unfortunately not getting to much time to study.. I am from Ireland, and hope to have a good grasp of the Arabic language by the end of the year.

Shukran!
irishguy74

Postby friendlyandgeeky » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:09 pm

irishguy74 wrote:Hello every one.. I have been learning Arabic for the past 3 months but unfortunately not getting to much time to study.. I am from Ireland, and hope to have a good grasp of the Arabic language by the end of the year.

Shukran!

Welcome to the forum irishguy! Best of luck to you as you learn Arabic ;)
friendlyandgeeky

Postby friendlyandgeeky » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:09 pm

gearstik wrote:Marhaba

My name is Geo. I am Australian. I have just started Arabic at evening class and even though I am learning the Lebanese dialect of Arabic I an finding this site usefull. The words here are a little different than what I am learning.

Thanks

G

Hi Geo, welcome to the forums :) hope you get the exposure you want and need here. Good luck!
friendlyandgeeky

Postby friendlyandgeeky » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:13 pm

R1zbear wrote:Hello ! I'm new on this forum so I introduce me...My name is Julia, I'm 21 years old, I'm a Belgian in USA. My hobbies : horses, kitesurf and video games...Nice to meet you.

Hi Julia, welcome to the forum! I like your site http://watchonlinemoviez.net, btw :) I make websites too. Best of luck, and feel free to chat with me about any website stuff :)
friendlyandgeeky

Re:

Postby friendlyandgeeky » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Ash wrote:Hi, My name is Ash, I live in the UK and am learning Arabic as I love languages and am travelling soon in the Arabic world and want to be able to communicate in Arabic, as well as learning it because it is a beautiful language :D

Thanks guys! Shukram!

Hello Ash, good luck learning Arabic, and I hope you enjoy your travels!
friendlyandgeeky

Postby friendlyandgeeky » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:34 pm

gearstik wrote:Marhaba

Thanks

G

Hey Geo, good luck learning Arabic!
friendlyandgeeky

Postby jannypan » Sat May 07, 2011 3:17 am

Like Holly learning Arabic in London for 4 months now and this is such a useful resource
jannypan

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion