Gender consistency

Discuss Arabic grammar

Moderator: Ehab

Gender consistency

Postby AnnaLisa7 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Hello, I would like some clarification on how to use words together with different genders.

As I understand it, elements of a sentence should be consistent in regards to gender, but frequently I run into feminine words, when I am forming an otherwise masculine sentence.

So, I'm not sure what I should do with the word.

For example: I am commenting on a video a friend has posted on Youtube and I say...
"huwa jiddan hasan ughniya min turki"
Meaning: "It is a very good song from Turkey"

Ughniya (meaning:song) is a feminine word right? But the rest of my sentence is masculine. Should I be doing something with ughniya to masculinize it or not use this word at all?

I'm confused...lol
AnnaLisa7

Re: Gender consistency

Postby Ehab » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:09 am

You might be confused, but you are in the right track, just like what you said, the word ughniyah means song and it is feminine, so the gender of some of the words must be feminine. For example, the word huwa (he) should be heya (she). One other thing, use jayyedah jeddan for (very good), both words (hasan) and (jayyed-ah) means good, but in this context (jayyedah) should be used.
Last thing, the order of the words varies from English to Arabic. You say (good song) in English, while in Arabic we put the noun before the adjective, so we say song good (ughniyah jayyedah). So your sentence would be:
Heya ughniyah jayyedah jeddan min turkiya
However, in Arabic, we normally use haadihi (this) instead of heya (she) in this context, so you start with Haad'ihi ughniyah.....

Hope that helps
Ehab
Site Admin

Return to Grammar Discussion