Active/Present Tense

Discuss Arabic grammar

Moderator: Ehab

Active/Present Tense

Postby Saydalii » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:20 am

Assalaamu Alaykum

I have a question. I noticed that Muhammad on one of the early intermediate lessons discussed something (in the comments) interesting about the present tense.

He said if you were on your way going to a movie at that instant you would say

انا ذاهب

Instead of اذهب او انا اذهب

I have a verb book and it says that ذاهب is a active participle.

So If I want to say generally "I go to many places" would I say انا اذهب الى اماكن كثيرة

But if I was going to those places at that instant, would I say انا ذاهب الى اماكن كثيره

I have lists of active participles in my Arabic Verb Book.

So I guess I am asking for an explanation between the differences of generally saying you do something and when you are actually doing the action.

I hope that makes any sense, haha.

شكرا
Saydalii

Re: Active/Present Tense

Postby mujtahida » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:37 pm

Wa alaikum salam Saydalii,

انا اذهب الى اماكن كثيرة means I go to many places
while
انا ذاهب الى اماكن كثيره means I'm going to many places

so if you were on your way to these places and someone asked you where are you going? Then you'd probably answer with انا ذاهب الى اماكن كثيره

ذاهب is a noun representing the person who did the action. It's called Esm Alfaa3el إسم الفاعل in Arabic. I think the guys did an upper intermediate lesson on how to form it
mujtahida

Re: Active/Present Tense

Postby Saydalii » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:41 pm

شكرا مجتهدة

Thanks for answering.

I understand a little better, still a bit confused (not on what you said, but just the whole concept in general).

I took the test and scored as a Upper INtermediate. Felt pretty smart. hehe, But I know the only reason was because I can read Arabic decently.

I am going through all the previous levels so I can improve my listening and speaking pronunciation.

I'll cant wait till I get up to those upper intermediate lessons to hear what Ehab and Muhammad say.

اتمنى ان اكون شخص مجتهد ايضا

Hope that was correct.

Saydalii
Saydalii

Return to Grammar Discussion