Adverbs

Discuss Arabic grammar

Moderator: Ehab

Adverbs

Postby mnq713 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:09 pm

I have just begun to learn Arabic. I want to know if adverbs have masculine and feminine forms or plural ones, too.
mnq713

Re: Adverbs

Postby Ehab » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:18 pm

Adverbs in Arabic are three categories:
1- ظرف زمان which describes the TIME.
2- ظرف مكان which describes the PLACE.
3- حال which descibes the HOW.
To answer your question, ONLY حال takes masculine and feminine forms, the others don't.
We'll make special lessons to discuss these issues soon.. Just keep it with ArabicPod.
Ehab
Site Admin

Postby faheemkamran » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:27 pm

The Adverb of Accompaniment: المفعول معه
Definition & How to Recognize it

This adverb is simply defined as that which follows the واو in the meaning of مع. It exists in the language to be used when normal conjunction is impermissible or non-preferable. If normal conjunction is impermissible, this adverb must be used instead. If conjunction is permissible but disliked, then this adverb should be used. And finally, if conjunction is permissible and preferable, this adverb should not be used. (Notice that, whether appropriate or not, this adverb can always be used, theoretically speaking.)

For example, conjunction in the following sentence is not permissible, thus this adverbial structure must be used:

I read my (habitual) prayer, and so did Zaid. (Not: I read my prayer and I read Zaid!)

قرأت وردي وزيدا

In the following, conjunction can be used (according to many grammarians), but it is disliked and so this adverb will be used:

Zaid and I read (something)

قرأت وزيدا

And finally in the following sentence, conjunction can be used and it should be used:

Zaid and I read (something)

قرأت انا وزيد

This adverb itself can be one of the following things

· a single noun

· a phrase like اضافة and صفة

· sometimes, even a sentence (introduced by أنّ, for example)

And the following entities can govern it

· verbs

· gerunds

· active participles

· active participles on the exaggeration patterns

· passive participles

Position in the Sentence

This adverb must follow its governing word and the thing to which it is conjoined. It typically follows these two things very closely.

Dropping

Omitting this adverb does not make sense; it is either intended or not. As for dropping its governing word, this phenomenon has a very limited application.

Adverb Cache

The following are a few commonly occurring nouns/phrases/sentences that fall into one of the five مفاعيل along with a brief explanation of their structure.

أيضاً

“Also”: it is typically accepted to be a cognate adverb from the verb آض/يأيض.

جداً

“Very”: in most cases, it is an adjective for a cognate adverb which, along with its governing verb, has been dropped.

حينَئذ

“Thereupon”: this includes all nouns that end in ـئذِ. The حين part is a locative adverb which is مضاف towards the إذ, which in turn is مضاف towards the nunation.

أبداً

“Ever/never”: this is a temporally locative adverb.

حتماً

“Necessarily”: this is not an adverb; it usually acts as حال.

شكراً

“Thanks”: this includes many nouns like عفوا. They are cognate adverbs for hidden verbs.

أهلاً وسهلاً

“Welcome”: both these words are direct objects for hidden verbs.
faheemkamran

Postby kurumi » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:21 pm

Mar7aba everyone,

Recently I've noticed that in Arabic,some adverbs seem to conjugate but some don't... Then I came across this post. Thanks for all the explanation. If the lesson about adverbs has already released,I would love to know the name of it. I searched with a word ' adverb' from the lesson page,but couldn't find any.

Thanks is advance. :)
kurumi

Postby Ehab » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Ahlan Kurumi,

We didn't actually dedicate special lessons on adverbs although the intention was there since 2008!! However there is a simple app in our activities page called (Directions) which contains so many of the (ظرف مكان) which is an adverb that describes the place. Just go to the Activities page and navigate the ArabicPod list to the left you will find the (Directions) app in the second page. I hope you enjoy the app :)
Ehab
Site Admin

Postby yaops555 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:14 am

yaops555

Postby Crown123 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:44 am

his adverb should not be used. (Notice that, whether appropriate or not, this adverb can always be used, theoretically speaking.)
If you want to have stunning time in the right direction through helping tools 200-120 for more info visit CISCO for further info visit us on Youtube you got more on at HP good luck...
Crown123

Return to Grammar Discussion