Suggestions and Questions regarding biginning level lessons.

Talk about ArabicPod lessons

Moderator: Ehab

Suggestions and Questions regarding biginning level lessons.

Postby olesya » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:50 am

Hello dear teachers Mr.Ehab Saleh and Mr.Mohammad Moshaya.

I am so amazed of the work you are doing for people, who crave to learn arabic. I downloaded audio lessons and printed PDF transcripts(for beginning level), to teach it at home, not at work…and wanna say that I liked your lessons more than much. It is really really really great, you explained all stuff so clearly and all this expressions are very useful for me. Thanks for the good job.
I have deluge of questions regarding some lessons:
Lesson1
In audio file I clearly hear that you pronounce How are you like “Kayfa 7aluka/7aluke”, while in PDF it mentioned like “Kayfa 7alak/7alek”…
When I was working with Arabic team, I used to hear that they pronounce it like “Kayfak/Kayfek” and “Kayf al7al”-is it possible to say like that?
Lesson2
When I used to learn Arabic by disk, it was mentioned there that Pleased to meet you means For9a sa3ida.And the answer can be like a7na as3ad(the pleasure is mine). Is it possible to say like that as well, or it is only for Egyptian dialect???
Lesson3
Is it Sah if I say I know like Ana adry!?
Satrje3 means-she is coming back, so is correct if I say we are coming back like Sanirje3, they are coming back like Sayerje3u and you are coming back(for male) like Satrje3, (for female) Satrje3i….?
Lesson6
So if I wanna say your brother, can it be like that A’7ak and your sister like o’7tak…?
Very often I hear that arabs say Why like Laysh, is there any difference between Lematha and Laysh? Can I use them in my speech equally?

By the way, viewing and downloading the lessons I noticed that by numbers there are many missing lessons in the list, for example:#8,13,17,19,20,22,24,25,27,28,29,31,33,34,35,38,40,41,44.
Where can I find them, can you please guide me trough the site?!

And I have some suggestions:
I have some Arabic friends who live in another city/country and they are coming to my place very seldom. It would be just great if I know some useful expressions for next situations:
It can be a telephone call, including expressions-“I miss you and want to see you ASAP! How is your work and how do you spend your time there?”...
Another situation is when friend is leaving my town, some expressions like “Didn’t you forget anything? Be careful on the road! And just Take care!”…

I am sorry for the enormous deluge of questions, but your answers can help me to clear some stuff.

And again, thanks for the great lessons brothers. :D

Ma3asalama.

Olesya.
olesya

Re: Suggestions and Questions regarding biginning level lessons.

Postby Afreeqiya » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:13 pm

I know these questions were for the mods, so I'm sure they'll give you more in depth answers. But if you don't mind, I'll try to answer what I know accordingly:

olesya wrote:Hello dear teachers Mr.Ehab Saleh and Mr.Mohammad Moshaya.
In audio file I clearly hear that you pronounce How are you like “Kayfa 7aluka/7aluke”, while in PDF it mentioned like “Kayfa 7alak/7alek”…
When I was working with Arabic team, I used to hear that they pronounce it like “Kayfak/Kayfek” and “Kayf al7al”-is it possible to say like that?

Kayfak/ek is the slang form of the Standard Arabic greeting: Kayf Al-7aaluka/e(fully pronounced)- (literally: How is your condition? Kayf Al-Hal = How's the condition. Both are fine to use). The colloquial form doesn't follow the rules of proper grammar pronunciation.

When you're actually speaking to someone(not writing), you know the gender(s) of the person(s), so it's not neccessary to add the "a" or "e" at the end(it's a matter of preference), and, the same holds true for the final inflection on the last word of a phrase. Also, they don't put all of the vowel marks in the transcripts here so as not to confuse beginners.

Lesson3
Is it Sah if I say I know like Ana adry!?

Sa7ee7. What you wrote could be used to be emphatic, contrast, etc. Or you could just simply say "Adrii".
Lesson6
So if I wanna say your brother, can it be like that A’7ak and your sister like o’7tak…?
Very often I hear that arabs say Why like Laysh, is there any difference between Lematha and Laysh? Can I use them in my speech equally?

It depends on it's function in your statement. If it's the object, it would take "ak" as you stated above. If it's the subject, ie. it will take "u" and with the genitive case "i". Of course there are more complex rules to follow but these are the general basics. However, I don't know pronunciation patterns within various dialects.

And I have some suggestions:
I have some Arabic friends who live in another city/country and they are coming to my place very seldom. It would be just great if I know some useful expressions for next situations:
It can be a telephone call, including expressions-“I miss you and want to see you ASAP! How is your work and how do you spend your time there?”...
Another situation is when friend is leaving my town, some expressions like “Didn’t you forget anything? Be careful on the road! And just Take care!”…

Since MSA is the extent of my Arabic knowledge, I'll try to provide a decent translation--I'm sure there are mistakes, but here's my attempt anyway:

أفتقدك وأود أن أراك بأقرب ما يمكن من السرعة. كيف تسير عملك و ماذا تعمل( فيه)؟
Aftaqiduka/i wa awaddu an' araaka/i bi-aqrabi maa yumkin min as-sur3a. kayfa tasiiru 3amluka/i wa maatha ta3amal (fiih, hunaak, etc.)?

As she/he leaves:
هل تركت أي شيء؟ احذر وأنت على طريق بيتك. مع السلامة
Hal tarakta ayya shay'? idhur wa anta/i 3ala Tariiqi baytuk. Ma3a as-salaam!
Afreeqiya

Postby Ehab » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:36 am

Afreeqiya, you did great job and sure your level is above intermediate :)
Olesya, nice questions and I could see you are affected by some 3ammi (colloquial) language. Take what Afreeqia wrote, I really can't find much to correct. I will only rewrite the following sentences:
أشتاق لك و أريد أن أراك بأقرب وقت! I miss you and want to see you ASAP!
كيف عملك و كيف تقضي وقتك؟ How is your work and how do you spend your time there?
ما نسيت شي؟ Didn’t you forget anything?
خذ حذرك على الطريق Be careful on the road!
دير بالك على حالك And just Take care! (this is a bit colloquial)
and that's it.
Salaam
Ehab
Site Admin

Postby Afreeqiya » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:58 pm

Ehab wrote:
دير بالك على حالك And just Take care! (this is a bit colloquial)
and that's it.
Salaam

Thats good to know, Ehab, thanks. And you know what's funny, I thought about giving this phrase as a suggestion, but confused myself with Fus7a(thinking that it was specifically watch out, and only in that context) and wasn't sure so just settled with the simple, yet detailed translation.
Afreeqiya

Re: Suggestions and Questions regarding biginning level less

Postby daavidfischer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:21 am

I have also learned Arabic with the help of Mr.Ehab Saleh and Mr.Mohammad Moshaya and it was a great experience for me. Both of them are very dedicated to their profession and put their hundred percent effort to teach their students. I am happy to read about them.
daavidfischer

Return to Lesson Discussion