Podcasts

Talk about ArabicPod lessons

Moderator: Ehab

Podcasts

Postby slewbear » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi,

I love the beginner podcasts but I have one small suggestion that might be helpful for me and other listeners.

After going through the word-by-word breakdown of each lesson, the hosts go straight back to the Arabic dialogue (three times, of course) without putting it all back together again. I think it would be great if - after the detailed breakdown - you could do the dialogue once more, sentence by sentence, with English translation, like you do before the word-by-word breakdown. Perhaps you could even move one of the sentence-by-sentence breakdowns to the end of the podcast so each podcast isn't any longer than they were before. So my suggestion for the organization would be:

Introduction
Arabic dialogue (three times)
Sentence-by-sentence translation (just ONE time)
Word-by-word breakdown
Sentence-by-sentence translation (ONE more time)
Arabic dialogue (three times)
Conclusion

Thanks!

Jeremy Kadden
Washington, DC
slewbear

Re: Podcasts

Postby Moshaya » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Ahlan Jeremy,

Glad you’re enjoying the podcasts, and thanks for your suggestion. It will be interesting to hear what other people think

It’s difficult to ascertain a good balance between the English translations and the Arabic counterparts. I don’t know if you noticed, but as well as doing the sentence to sentence translation after listening to the dialogue at the beginning of the lesson, we often do it again after breaking down a whole sentence.

One of the reasons why we think that it’s good not to do the sentence to sentence translation again before re-listening to the dialogue at the end of the lessons is because we want it to be kind of a test. When it’s time to re-listen to the dialogue, we’re hoping the listeners will understand it after the breakdown, and if it wasn’t understood then maybe the podcast should be re-listened to etc
Moshaya
Site Admin

Return to Lesson Discussion