Intermediate Level

Talk about ArabicPod lessons

Moderator: Ehab

Intermediate Level

Postby Saydalii » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:28 am

يبدو ان المستوى المتوسط صعب جدا. انا افهم كثير من الكلمات في الحوار. ولكن انا افكر ان الحوار احسن اذا كان في نص عربي ايضا.

I think it would be great if on the intermediate level, there was a text of the Conversation between the teachers. It doesn't have to be translated or anything, just an arabic text of the lesson conversation.

I think that would be great.

I tested as an upper intermediate before I joined a couple weeks ago, but honestly that was mainly because I can read fairly well. Listening comprehension is my weakest area. I went through all the beginner and lower intermediate and it helped a ton! I am going through them again when I am driving and working out.

Believe me, I would type out the dialogue text in Arabic if I could. I understand a lot of the words, but not all of them. But I think those that are on the Arabic Intermediate level take their learning fairly seriously and most likely will have a dictionary and will be able to look up words they don't understand.

Just a suggestion, this site is absolutely great. The best site I've seen for learning Arabic.

شكرا
Saydalii

Re: Intermediate Level

Postby Saydalii » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:23 am

By the way, I am not sure if the Arabic above is Grammatically correct. Hopefully it was fairly ok.
Saydalii

Postby Ehab » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:12 pm

Ahlan Saydalii;
It would need a lot of effort and bigger crew to organise such thing. Financially we cannot do that at this stage, but certainly we are always open to suggestions.
I see you need to focus more in listening, and I think if we write the entire conversation in Arabic, then we are giving you something you already know and making it too easy for you to learn where you will gain less benefits.
It is hard initially to get used to listening, but because we teach Arabic via podcast, you will move forward in the listening far faster than any other teaching system, and as we always say, it will take time,, hopefully not long ;).
Please keep the suggestions up and I hope you will find your listening skill getting far better soon.
All the best

:)
Ehab
Site Admin

Postby Saydalii » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:47 pm

Yes, I just wanted to make the suggestion.

Honestly, I've never learned a language before (except english ofcourse), I learned a little Arabic and German as a kid. But I don't even really know how we obtain a language, or at least the best way to do it. I guess the "smart" thing that makes the most "sense" would be to have a transcript and listen. But many times what makes the most sense is not always right.

I've heard of many of people who become fluent in a language just by listening and imitating. It doesn't make any sense to me how that happened, but it happens.

Anyway,

مع سلامة
Saydalii

Postby Ehab » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:29 pm

All of us have learnt languages by listening,, I mean when we were kids, we heard our parents talking and we learnt from that,, it is incredible issue when you really think of it.
This is exactly the method that we use in teaching via podcast, where we teach whole sentences in beginner level, you remember these sentences without really understanding every single bit in it. After you get used to these phrases and sentences, you go for upper levels and learn the reason behind every word used.
I know people came here to the UK and learnt English by listening only,, interesting enough they are fluent when they speak, but if you ask them to write "how are you" they really can't do it :!:
Ehab
Site Admin

Postby Saydalii » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:11 am

I just wanted to say that I must now rebuke myself for offering such the idea of giving us a text.

I kept listening to the first intermediate and my ears tuned in and was able to understand everything except maybe two to three words.

Anyword I didn't understand, I was able to listen clearly to it and look it up. Intermediate is definately much much tougher than the beginner and lower intermediate, but that's exactly what I need to have my listening be improved.

Shukran

Saydalii
Saydalii

Postby jookieapc » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:37 am

Listening alone is not enough to learn a language. In fact we all learn our first language not just by listening but by interaction. Without the interaction language is just noise to our brains. It's once we learn that words get us food that we really learn the language. I mean, there are CDs out there in a foreign language that parents think they can play in the background for their babies so the babies can grow up bilingual but it simply does not work without the interaction.
jookieapc

Return to Lesson Discussion