Podcast Ideas: What the people Want

Talk about ArabicPod lessons

Moderator: Ehab

Podcast Ideas: What the people Want

Postby Teckid1991 » Wed May 09, 2007 5:36 am

Well ill start of this thread by requesting a podcast that will teach use how to say "I like.." and "I don't like..." i would suggest using food when talking about this... after all its easy to both dislike and like food(lol). This would also give us a small peek into the arabic culture

thanks keep up the good work,
rob
Teckid1991

Postby arabicpod » Fri May 11, 2007 8:35 pm

Great Idea! We can definitely use this in a lesson!
Please keep your suggestions coming everyone :)
arabicpod
Site Admin

Postby Medina » Mon May 28, 2007 2:43 pm

yea thats a great idea..
but what if i would ever be an a arabic country
with a friend or someone else
and the person would get sick..or anything like it
how could i ask for help..?

and i would also like to know..
how you say things like..

im happy
im sleepy
im angry
im sick

etc..things like that.
Medina

Postby arabicpod » Mon May 28, 2007 3:44 pm

Wow, keep the great ideas coming

We will designate a lesson on getting help Medina, that’s a good one, also on describing feelings. We’ll try to get these lessons to you in July :D

Keep it up!

Mohamed Moshaya
arabicpod
Site Admin

Postby Medina » Mon May 28, 2007 6:28 pm

good..
what about the weather..
its raining
the sun is shining etc..
* The love of the world, is the root of all evils.
Medina

suggestion

Postby Henda » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:16 pm

I'm really enjoying your lessons, and make sound about it !!

I 'm interested in knowing numbers.
For instance by range of 10 for a few lessons.

Thanks for your job
Henda

Postby Moshaya » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Hay,

We have a lesson coming very soon about numbers, and there'll be loads more to come :)
Moshaya
Site Admin

Postby Aymeric » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:05 am

Hello,

First off I'd like to say that this website is a really great idea, it really fills a gap.

-Then I'd like to suggest that lessons be added periodically for each level, instead of filling the beginner levels only. I'm sure there are many people out there who've been studying Arabic for some time already and who would be interested in the intermediate/advanced lessons. I have listenned to your lower intermediate lessons and although I really liked the concept, I didn't learn anything at all. So working on all the levels in turn, instead of focusing only on the beginner level, would certainly draw more people. You may have noticed that the Web is brimming with Arabic study material for beginners, and people get stuck there because there's nothing to go on with once you're past that. And this is precisely where your website would fill a gap.

-I don't know if you will agree or not, but I would advise you not to worry too much about the grammar. It is really unrealistic to think that Arabic grammar can be taught through podcasts, and I'm sure that people don't even expect that. No one serious about studying Arabic would simply rely on the web without buying some grammar reference book. So the best thing would probably to quickly mention grammar points in the sentences that are discussed without elaborating too much on them, so that the students can go back to THEIR grammar books and work on the relevant grammatical points. I've checked other really good podcast websites for other languages and this is what they do.

-As was mentionned somewhere else in the forum, I think the dialect/standard language mix is a tricky issue, and I really doubt that you will be able to mention all the variants for each dialect when you go through the texts of your lessons.
For what it's worth, I think it would be a good idea to stick to a learning type that matches the real life : you could do a lesson in fus7a dealing with the kinds of topics where fus7a would REALLY be used in real life, like a conference or some TV show, a khutba or some official event, a speech, etc. And then you could alternate with the next lesson entirely in 3ammya with a topic that would require 3ammeya in real life, like for example a conversation between two friends, where obviously the use of fus7a would be totally out of place. I think using fus7a where 3ammeya is normally used is a major pitfall that might discourage many students when they realize they've been "tricked" :wink:
Aymeric

Postby Aymeric » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:12 am

One last point I forgot : once you have enough lessons, I think you should stop being totally free and do like the other good podcast websites. A monthly 8-dollar subscription won't kill anybody and if that's what it takes to get this website really running I'm sure many will be glad to give up such a small amount of money for so much knowledge.
Aymeric

Postby arabhabibi » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:24 pm

i'd like to know how to sweet talk in arabic if you could provide a podcast in teaching how to say for eg: you have nice eyes or you have a beautiful complexion or i love you etc.... thanks! :)
arabhabibi

Postby Moshaya » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:02 pm

Hi Aymeric,

That was one of the reasons ArabicPod came to place, the lack of Arabic pod casting websites on the net. Anyway on to your points:

- We hope to start publishing Intermediate to advanced lessons very soon. This will be a challenge for us as we don’t know how to go on about it but they will definitely be done in the near future. We started off with many beginner lessons because the majority of our listeners are beginners we believe, but please stay tuned for more advanced levels within the coming weeks.
- I guess we’ll have to listen to other podcast websites like japanesepod101 and learn how they deal with grammer. We try not to go into grammer in too much detail. As a host I try to put myself in the level we are teaching, so in beginner lessons I try to imagine the questions beginners might like to ask and the what they want to hear from the lessons.
- You might be right but this is one of the dilemma’s we face. The only thing we can do at the moment is use classical Arabic and common words that are understood by all. Our main aim is to help people understand each other, sometimes they might sound funny if they’re not talking in the local dialect, but they will most likely be understood by talking Arabic the way they have learnt it here. I’m sure in most cases the locals will appreciate the effort. We’re not trying to trick our listeners

Thanks for your feedback and keep it up!

Mohamed
Moshaya
Site Admin

Postby Moshaya » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:03 pm

Aymeric wrote:One last point I forgot : once you have enough lessons, I think you should stop being totally free and do like the other good podcast websites. A monthly 8-dollar subscription won't kill anybody and if that's what it takes to get this website really running I'm sure many will be glad to give up such a small amount of money for so much knowledge.

Thanks, this is a valid point and might be the only necessary means to keep this site running and move forward. But before we start doing this we want to make sure that we have a quality product with a reasonable size of archived lessons
Moshaya
Site Admin

Postby Moshaya » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:06 pm

arabhabibi wrote:i'd like to know how to sweet talk in arabic if you could provide a podcast in teaching how to say for eg: you have nice eyes or you have a beautiful complexion or i love you etc.... thanks! :)

Hi Habibi :) We have noted this and hopefully will can get this done soon. Definitely be a fun lesson :lol:
Moshaya
Site Admin

Postby Aymeric » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:06 pm

Hello,

I'm sure the 3ammeya issue is a really tough decision to make. I'd like to make one last suggestion: if the problem for you is which dialect to choose, why not simply go for Egyptian or Syrian Arabic, which both are widely understood by the vast majority of the Arab world? Since our main teacher is Syrian maybe you guys could start with Syrian.
It's true that with fus7a we can communicate everywhere. But nowadays with the advent of satellite TV and all, it's is exactly as true of Egyptian/Syrian ammeyya, I mean, these two dialect are as widely understood as fos7a. The only difference being that they sound much more natural when spoken in the proper circumstances :wink:

Personally I've lived in Egypt for a few months, and whenever I spoke in fus7a people would answer in 3ammeya, nobody cares to answer back in fus7a. So I started learning Egyptian 3ammeyya instead and I felt the positive results almost instantly (talking to people, but also songs, TV shows, egyptian cinema, a whole chunk of the Arab culture and identity that I would miss out on if I were only learning fos7a).
For students in conference interpretation : http://interpreters.freeforums.org
Aymeric

Lesson Suggestions

Postby tomest05 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:14 am

Surely you've heard enough , my Arabic Pod teachers and friends, but here are some things that I see broadly being requested and so this can help you plan your upcoming lessons without re-reading every post again.

1.) Useful common and cultural idiomatic expressions such as: "God Bless you", "Bon appetite", "Congratulations", "Bon voyage" and all their responses from 2nd party (very important and difficult aspect of Arabic).

2.) Songs (you already did this and looking forward for more!)

3.) Intermediate: More advanced dialogues: good example at a restaurant: "More water, please", "What do you suggest/recommend?", "where is the WC?", "May I take your order?" etc.
Talking about going out at night (making plans)
Commands and requests lessons.
Directions (go left, turn right, stop at corner, etc...)

4.) Advanced level: Arabic short stories. Kids stories or anecdotes that you have read/heard as a child.

5.) News Report vs. Street Interview (this could be the start of a series of dialogues that helps build students understanding between the difference of aamiya and fousha).

6) And continue to do some of the cool multimedia such as the calligraphy, wall papers, etc... when you can! That adds alot to the website!

Keep up the good work my friends!

tomes
tomest05

Next

Return to Lesson Discussion