Expression introduction

Talk about ArabicPod lessons

Moderator: Ehab

Expression introduction

Postby tomest05 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:11 am

Hi Arabic Pod,

I've mentioned this before, but perhaps you could integrate slowly per lesson, useful social expressions. For instance, I don't know how to properly say "god bless you" (as in Gesundheit or after a sneeze). I realize there is probably a response as well. Or another dinner scene... like a friend going to a friends house and the cooker says "bon Appetite". Lots of useful expressions that I think alot of students don't learn or rarely hear the cultural and linguistic context of certain phrases.

I've learned that most social expression in Arabic have a different "response phrase"... while in English we tend to not have "response rules". Like if someone says "Bless you (when you sneeze)" they can just say "Thanks" or anything. But in Arabic, I understand there are set and proper expressions. I look forward to hearing and learning about these.
tomest05

Postby Moshaya » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi Tomest05

You made a very valid point! A list of responses and social expressions would be very fitting. I myself faced these problems many times. Once I was invited for dinner, and there is usually something you say after you get up from the food but I didn’t know so I asked my cousin, and my cousin said say “3atham allah ajrak”!

But you say “3atham allah ajrak” when you meet someone whos relative died :D Thank god I wasn’t stupid enough to fall for that because I know what it meant. It would have been very embarrassing indeed if I got up after eating and said that loudly.

So we’ll try to talk about social expressions more in our lessons, and maybe come up with a word document with a list of common expressions.

Thanks pointing this out!
Moshaya
Site Admin

Question for lesson 23

Postby aurora » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:36 pm

Lesson 23 was an excellent introduction to using the language!

But what *do* you say when you leave the dinner table and/or want to compliment the meal?

It seems the list could go on to fill more lessons. 8)

Shukran
aurora

Postby Ehab » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:17 pm

Ahlan aurora;

Thanks for praising the lesson and inshallah all our lessons will improve more and more.
About complimenting a dinner invitation, I can answer you here .. First,, this varies from country to country, for instance, I say, Sofra Daymeh (means: wish your meal to exist always ).
Also, others use more religious term which is: A63ama Allah man A63amana, wa saqa Allah man saqana: May Allah feed who fed us and water who watered us.
This is what in my mind now, if anyone knows others terms then please post it.

Salaaam

Ehab
Ehab
Site Admin

Return to Lesson Discussion