Brand new and nervous!

Talk about ArabicPod lessons

Moderator: Ehab

Brand new and nervous!

Postby geoff » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:53 am

Hi everybody,

I have just joined and am nervous about even thinking about learning Arabic.
I am keen to learn this language, but am unsure if I have the skills required to master it. I am willing to work at it though, and would welcome any advice as to how to begin.

I live and work in the UAE, but am English. I only know how to say hello, nothing, thank you, and a couple of numbers.

My ipod is waiting, but I want to make sure I start with something I can grasp to keep my confidence up and progress gradually.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Shukran

Geoff
geoff

Re: Brand new and nervous!

Postby Ehab » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:32 pm

Hello Geoff;

Welcome on board.. Just take the things easy and you'll be fine inshallah.. Focus on the beginner lessons at the moments, listen to the lesson and try to use the terms mentioned in it in your daily life.
See comments from other listeners in the website and you will find that learning via podcast is very easy.

Bettawfeeq (good luck)

Ehab
Ehab
Site Admin

Postby eric489 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:37 pm

hi Geoff !

Actually Arabic is somewhat difficult, and clearly looks puzzling. But in fact, the more you'll learning it'll keep getting easier, ( like for any language ) and by the time you'll have understood the logic of the language, you'll be able to deduct many things.

Of course, reading and writing will be the biggest challenges, since in most cases short vowels aren't transcribed.

If you want my two cents, just sign in for Arabic classes, you'll surely find some in the UAE, and use Arabicpod as an add-on/side learning tool.
eric489

Postby ukbabe » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:49 pm

Hay Geoff,

Welcome to the site! I found that listening to at least 3 ArabicPod lessons a week helped. It’s also worth looking at the transcripts while you’re listening to the podcasts. You’re so lucky in the sense that you can just go out in the UAE and practice, I’m sure the practice part will help a lot.
ukbabe

Return to Lesson Discussion