Arabic Music, its styles, and outside of arabic countries

Discuss Arabic Music

Moderator: Ehab

Arabic Music, its styles, and outside of arabic countries

Postby Teckid1991 » Tue May 29, 2007 10:37 pm

What are some of the popular styles of music that can be seen in arabic speaking countries?

Also, are there any non-middle east songs in arabic that are popular around the world?

on another note:

I have heard that song called "desert rose" by sting.. which is rumored to have arabic in it.. im not total sure about the langauage or meaning of what the singer says (i just know he's middle eastern). Its a cool song that you should check out. If you find out what the lyrics are/mean could you post them please :) (im sure they're just as beautiful as the english part of the song;) ).
Follow your bliss

"If french is language of love, spanish language of passion, [then] arabic is language of [the] soul"
- Mystique
Teckid1991

not an expert

Postby tomest05 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:51 am

Merhaba!

I am not expert on Arabic music. I'm just a student and love studying the language and music. I wish my skills were better so that I could translate all the beautiful songs!

But a very popular form of Arabic music is called "Rai" I believe it originated out of Algeria and it's song in Arabic mainly but also in French. The most popular I think maybe Cheb Khaled who has sang numerous songs but most famous was "Aicha", which is mainly in French but also has an Arabic verse.

I personally love Rachi Taha's "Ya Rayah", which was originally a poem about Algerian refugees if I remember correctly. Also the co-singer with Sting for Desert Rose was named Cheb Mami. He is still rather popular if I remember!

Thanks again ArabicPod.net for putting this up!

Tomes
tomest05

Postby arabicpod » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:03 am

I’d say Arabic music is split into four styles

-Gulf Music (Saudi, Emirates’ etc)
-Lebanese Music
-Egyptian Music
-East Northern African music (Morroco, Algeria etc)

I guess they each have their own style and distinguishing dialect

Mohamed Moshaya
arabicpod
Site Admin

Postby Teckid1991 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:51 am

has anyone heard of that egyptian singer called ruby?
i recently listened to one of her songs and happend to be working on a school project thats related to western influence on islamic/middle eastern culture...

do you think her style is more egyptian/arab/islamic or western?
Follow your bliss

"If french is language of love, spanish language of passion, [then] arabic is language of [the] soul"
- Mystique
Teckid1991

Postby Moshaya » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:06 am

I heard of her, she used to be really famous. I don't know if she still is because I kind of lost touch with the latest Arabic music

From what I remember, her style was mixed between Egyptian and western. It was definitely not Islamic!

Mohamed Moshaya
Moshaya
Site Admin

Postby Medina » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:16 pm

i think lebanese.. :lol:
* The love of the world, is the root of all evils.
Medina

Postby Medina » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:16 pm

yeh ruby..is a good singer
but..not as famous as..nancy ajram elissa and haifa wehbe.
* The love of the world, is the root of all evils.
Medina

Postby lrnarabic » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:43 pm

Mohamed Moshaya said:

I’d say Arabic music is split into four styles

-Gulf Music (Saudi, Emirates’ etc)
-Lebanese Music
-Egyptian Music
-East Northern African music (Morroco, Algeria etc)

I guess they each have their own style and distinguishing dialect

Does the Gulf Music generally only have a duff\daf\tar in the background and no other instruments?

Thanks!
lrnarabic

Postby مرقس » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:12 am

...But a very popular form of Arabic music is called "Rai" I believe it originated out of Algeria and it's song in Arabic mainly but also in French. The most popular I think maybe Cheb Khaled who has sang numerous songs but most famous was "Aicha", which is mainly in French but also has an Arabic verse.

I personally love Rachi Taha's "Ya Rayah", which was originally a poem about Algerian refugees if I remember correctly. Also the co-singer with Sting for Desert Rose was named Cheb Mami. He is still rather popular if I remember!

أناشيد

راي

شعبي
مرقس البطرسي
مرقس

Re: Arabic Music, its styles, and outside of arabic countries

Postby leila27 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:29 pm

I am an American of European descent, but I play the doumbek (a.k.a. tabla/darbuka) and am starting to learn riq (tambourine).

There are a lot of different styles of music. I'll tell you about different styles I am familiar with. However, I don't know if people from the Middle East would break things down into the same categories as I would. Let me know if you see it differently because I am interested to know what other people think!

Muwashshah: old-style music that uses the semai rhythm quite a lot. Semai is a 10/8 count; I've heard it described as being like a long waltz. I think muwashshahat sound formal and very pretty.

Egypt beledi: I think beledi means "country". They use certain songs (e.g Hassan ya kholy el genena) and taqasim (improvisations). It sounds earthy and relaxed and is something I'd want at a party.

Saidi: Happy music with what I call "the horn" (I think it's called a mizmar). It reminds me of beledi music with its earthy feel. There are great stick/cane dances to this style.

Taqasim: Some songs are almost all taqasim (improvisation) often without singing. Taqasim music makes me think of oud players.

Debke (or debkah?): I believe debke means "stomp"? People do fantastic line dances to this music that I REALLY want to learn! This also sounds like party music. I understand that it varies by country. There are distinctive drum rhythms that are used in debke music (4/4 maloub, 6/8 Lebanese-debke, etc.).

Golden era music: Om Kolthoum, Farid El Trache, Mohammed Abdul Wahab, Abdel Halim Hafez
Beautiful, classic music from about the 1950s to 70s. Om Kolthoum and Wahab songs tend to have lots of rhythm changes that create a dynamic feeling. I think this music is very emotional; Om Kolthoum can make me cry!

Shabbe: I think it sounds like modern pop music with a middle eastern vibe. Fun music, but they don't tend to change the drum beat very much.

Modern Arabic pop: To me, it sounds like American music with Arabic lyrics. They often use the same drum beat throughout a song, which I think gets boring.

What is your favorite kind of music? I am curious to hear what other people think.
leila27

Re: Arabic Music, its styles, and outside of arabic countrie

Postby Ianchris9 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:38 pm

i recently listened to one of her songs and happend to be working on a school project thats related to western influence on islamic/middle eastern culture...

thanks for sharing.

Katrina Kaif
Ianchris9

Postby siliser » Fri May 10, 2013 5:51 am

I don't know much Arabic songs but i like that style, very romantic
siliser

Postby mgelinas » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:29 am

Life is a journey, not the destination, but the scenery along the should be and the mood at the view.
mgelinas

Postby daavidfischer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:55 am

I think the Iraqian el Maqaam and the Algerian raï are some of the most loved genres of music in those countries. Well I will let you know if I come across any other great kinds of music they love.

-----------------------------
DAVID FISCHER
www.snoredoc.net
daavidfischer

Return to Music and Anasheed