books

Discuss Arabic reading and writing

Moderator: Ehab

Re: books

Postby toasterhead » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Dar Al-Bihar Press in Lebanon publishes a line of dual-language English/Arabic versions of British and American literature that I've found extremely helpful in learning Arabic. I think they were actually made for Lebanese high school students learning English literature, but they work just as well for English speakers learning Arabic. The books contain English on the left-hand page and Arabic translation on the right, so you can easily compare words and phrases in the two languages.

What's most helpful for me (at this stage in my learning, anyhow) is that the translators tend to repeat the same Arabic words a lot. So instead of using a dozen different words for basic concepts like "take" or "get" or "put," they'll use the same word over and over, which really helps me to learn them. Right now I'm reading their translation of Macbeth, and find that the Arabic translation is actually helping me to understand the English version better!

You can find them online at http://www.alkitab.com/s1060-dic-dual-language-fiction-e-a.html

I've also found a dual-language version of Mahmoud Darwish's The Butterfly's Burden. His poetry is powerful and bittersweet, and reads beautifully in both languages. You can find that one here: http://www.amazon.com/Butterflys-Burden-Arabic-Mahmoud-Darwish/dp/1556592418

If anyone knows of any other dual-language Arabic literature, I'd love to know where to find it.
السلام حنين عدوين.. كل على حدة
للتثاؤب فوق رصيف الضجر
- محمود درويش
toasterhead

Re: books

Postby minisuper » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:45 am

That is so wanderful,I like it so much, thank you!

Previous

Return to Reading and Writing